THE FOUNDING OF A FOUNDATION:
HISTORY OF THE OGBOMOSO COMMUNITY FOUNDATION (OCF)
The birth of the Ogbomoso Community Foundation (OCF) was a result of the commitment and love for the unity, peace and development of Ogbomosoland by some dependable and highly respected sons and daughters.
It all started at the residence of Professor Oyeleye Oyediran in Ibadan during a reception tagged "Congratulatory Party", organized by Ogbomoso Pivotal Club in honour of Major General Oladayo Popoola when he retired from the Nigerian Army. Most of the key Ogbornoso Clubs/Societies with eminent sons and daughters of Ogbomosoland based in lbadan were invited to the party. It was at the party that most of the guests who spoke centred their discussions on the need for unity, peace and development of Ogbomosoland through collective efforts.
This eventually led to the first formal meeting of Pivotal Club, Ajilete Group and Committee of Friends in lbadan on Friday, 20th August, 1999 at the residence of the late Prince Joseph Oyerinde Ayinla Ookun where the issue of formation of a Pressure Group was extensively discussed along with development of Ogbomosoland.
The groups and some unaffiliated individuals were able to organize the highly successful funeral ceremonies of Hon (Chief) James Oladejo Adigun, former Minister in the Old Western Region and former Secretary of Ogbomoso Parapo, Mr, J,O. Oyetunji of Ibadan and later Senator (Dr.) Christopher Olaogun Adeoye and Alhaji O'latunji Mohammed, a former Deputy Governor of Oyo State.
At the funeral of Hon (Chief) James Oladejo Adigun on October, 1999, a thought provoking speech which was titled "The Way Forward" was delivered by the Chairman of the civil farewell ceremony, a retired Inspector General of Police, Chief Sunday Adedayo Adewusi. Although, the speech gave the prominent indigenes some food for thought, the modality to chart a way forward was not an easy task as Pivotal Club who had already scheduled a meeting for December, 1999 with legislators representing Ogbomosoland and Chairmen of local Government Councils since May, 1999 had to invite Ajilete Group and Committee of Fiends for the meeting. The meeting was held at Ogbomoso Recreation Club and a unanimous approval was given to the setting up of a body that will speak with one voice for Ogbomosoland.
Those in attendance were:
- Mr. Adisa Adeleye - Pivotal Club
- Chief Amos Atoyebi Idowu - Pivotal Club
- Alhaji Kilani Adebisi Sanni - Pivotal Club
- Engr. S.O. Alabi - Pivotal Club
- Prince Oluwole Onakanmi
- Late Prince Joseph Oyerinde Dokun - Committee of friends
- Mr. Wa:le Alagbe – Committee of Friends
- Mr. Solomon Adeyi - Ajilete Group
- Alhaji Pelu Adeseun – Ajilete Group
- Late Chief Moses Ojo Teru - Parapo Federal Council
- Chief Goke Adediran - Action Union
- Alhaji S.A. Akande - Permanent Secretary, Oyo State
- Mrs.Adun Fawusi – Permanent Secretary, Oyo State
- Hon. Peter Oluremi Odetomi- Chairman, Ogbomoso South LG.
- Hon. Mofolasire Ademola – Chairman, Ogo-Oluwa
- Hon. Ayo Adeseun - Leader, AIPP in Ogbomoso
- Hon. (Engr.) Johnson Ayanleke - Member, House of Assembly, Oyo State
The need to set up a pressure group and the search to fill the leadership vacuum in Ogbomosoland led to series of meetings. The dates of few of such meetings are as follows:
- Meeting of Wednesday, 1st January, 2000 in the house of late Prince J.D. Dokun at Ibadan. Members from different political parties, socio-cultural groups and clubs as well as a few unaffiliated individuals were invited to the meeting. In all, twenty-two participants attended.
- General meeting of Ogbomoso Pivotal Club held on Saturday, 13th January, 2001 at Nefraday Ltd., llorin. The farm of the former Inspector General of Police, Chief Sunday Adedayo Adewusi, where the need for purposeful leadership for Ogbomosoland was extensively discussed.
- Meeting of 29th May, 2001 at the residence of late Prince J.D. Dokun.
- Meeting of 15th June, 2001 at lOA, Akinola Maja Avenue, Jericho, lbadan, the Office of Major Genera I Oladayo Popoola (rtd) where the candidature of Chief S.A. Adewusi was ratified amongst other candidates proposed as Leader.
- Meeting of 14th July, 2001 with selected representatives of various clubs in Ogbornoso, lbadan and Parapo, Lagos State with Chief S.A. Adewusi at his residence in Ogbomoso.
- Finally, on 29th September, 2001 at Ogbomoso Recreation Club, Ogbornoso Community Foundation (first called Ogbomoso Community) was eventually born December 2001. A Committee was then put in place to run the affairs and superintend the developmental plans and activities of Ogbomosoland.
The Committee called, COORDINATING COMMITTEE comprised the following members:
- Air Cdre Joseph Olayiwola Atanda (rtd) - Moderator
- Chief Amos Atoyebi Idowu - General Secretary
- Major General Oladayo Popoola (rtd) - Treasurer
- Alhaji K.A. Sanni - Financial/Social Secretary
- Dr. Akin Onigbinde - Legal Adviser
- Dr. Saka Adegbite Balogun - Member
- PrinceJ.Olaniyan Farayola - Member
- Lion Chiefladiji Abiderni Gbadamosi - Member
- Mrs. Victoria OnaolapoAlabi - Member
- Late Chief Stephen Tokunbo Ojo - Member
Also, Technical Committees on finance, Food and Agriculture, Industry, Education, Politics, Data Base Development, Water and Environment and General Purposes were established. The leader, Chief (Dr.) S.A. Adewusi signed the document appointing all members.
This set the stage for subsequent elections into the Executive Council of OCF through democratic process and spirit of representativeness.